Moms & Tots is a Johor Bahru based cloth diaper company started up by 3 mommies who are keen in natural parenting and environmentally issues. I’m happy to be able to review their product, Moms & Tots Diaper. You can read more about their story here: Moms & Tots interview on Cloth Diaper Malaysia.
ABOUT MOMS & TOTS DIAPER
- Back fastening (velcro) One-Size Pocket Diaper with 3 rise settings.
- Main feature is to prevent babies from pulling diapers apart and prevent irritation around tummy from velcro.
- Diaper covers made from waterproof PUL with soft, fluffy, thin microfleece as the inner layer.
- Inserts are made of 3 layers microfiber and 1 layer anti bacterial bamboo fiber.
I have received for reviewing: 1 Moms & Tots diaper in Yellow colour with 2 inserts (1 normal length with snaps & 1 long insert for folding).
I’m using the new rating system for product reviews for JOLI diapers. Each category/factor below have a score from 1 to 5 (1 being the worst, and 5 being the best). Comments follow each category.
The inner view of the soft microfleece and the long sized insert which can be folded accordingly to suit baby’s needs. (The normal length insert not shown in this photograph)
Design & Appearance – My Score: 4 out of 5
- The cloth diaper cutting is trim, especially at the crotch - and even after stuffing the insert in the pocket, it still appears to be trim.
- I loved the 2 lengths/types of inserts which were very trim. The normal sized insert can be snapped for a shorter length or to adjust for extra absorbency at the front. The long sized insert is very versatile and can be folded according to how you’d like the absorbency to be.
- There were some minor workmanship issues on the cover (this was rectified by the company as an overlooked quality control issue – Usually they check the products before sending them off).
- They come in 5 gender neutral colour choices - No headaches to choose either boy/girl colours, they’re suitable for either!
Video posted by Moms & Tots showing how to put on their back fastening cloth diaper.
Ease of Use – My Score: 3.75 out of 5
- I didn’t really master the art of fastening the velcro on the back. From the video above, the recommended way is to fasten one side of the velcro while baby is lying down, then flipping him on his tummy and fastening the other side. I somehow find myself still readjusting the velcro after I’m done (because I simply want the velcro fastened as “perfectly” aligned as possible :-p)
- I sometimes stuff the inserts on the wrong side (I need to have the folded insert on the front for my boy) because I get confused with the location of the pocket opening and also the fact that it is a back fastening diaper.
Functionality & Fit- My Score: 5 out of 5!
- Picture this: You put cloth diaper on baby – and a few minutes later you discover your baby crawling/running around with his butt/decency exposed, and the diaper somewhere on the floor! If you’re lucky, hopefully your baby didn’t manage to leave any “emergencies” around while he’s butt naked!! :-O We certainly know how annoying this can be right?
- A back fastening cloth diaper is such a practical and smart idea! If you have experienced the problem above, back fastening is really the solution. Velcro fastening at the back will DEFINITELY prevent your baby from peeling off the Velcro off his cloth diapers. The diaper stays PUT all the time.
- The inserts are super trim, thus making the whole diaper trim too.
- The long sized insert is very practical and versatile because I can customize the absorbency however I want it to be. Just fold it twice, then to the front, or fold in half – depending on you baby’s needs. Drying times are quick too because of the design.
- The diaper’s cutting is high cut at the legs (above the leg joint), and this helps to not restricting baby’s movements. I like this very much. It looks quite sexy too
One really great feature of Moms & Tots diaper is its TRIMNESS
Performance - My Score: 4 out of 5
- The bamboo and microfiber combo makes for an absorbent insert. However, for longer hours, you might need to fold the inserts to create more layers of absorbency or use more than 1 insert.
Quality - My Score: 3.5 out of 5
- I personally feel the laundry tabs need some improvement. I think it is too small to function properly, and it gets worn out after some time.
- The microfleece inner gets fluffier in time, and the PUL layer is also durable. However, the inserts (since its made from natural bamboo fibers which might disintegrate easier compared to synthetic materials), extra care is needed if you want it to be long lasting.
OVERALL RATING - My Score: 4 out of 5
- PROS: Diaper design makes for a trim cutting and allows free movement of the legs (high cut at the legs); Toddler-proof, hard to reach Velcro fastening at the back! Versatile, trim & fast drying inserts.
- CONS: Fastening Velcro at the back might require practice; Laundry tabs need improving; Bamboo topped inserts might require special care.
Overall, Moms & Tots diaper is a very good effort from a group of Malaysian mums who had designed and created the brand. Well done! It has some great features in term of design and functionality. It is hoped with some minor improvements on the product (and perhaps the addition of more colours/prints), this product can be a perfectly unique and successful Malaysian creation!