Lovely Goody is allowing us to review JOLI diapers. Please note, that there are 3 product reviews in this article, so it is quite a long post! Also, scroll to the bottom of this page to get a SPECIAL DISCOUNT CODE for you to purchase any of the items reviewed here!
**NEWSFLASH: Watch out for a JOLI Product Giveaway happening HERE next week. Stay tuned for your chance to win many awesome prizes from JOLI and Lovely Goody!**
ABOUT JOLI DIAPERS
- JOLI Diapers are BAMBOO cloth diapers and comes in 2 types: JOLI pocket diaper, and JOLI Rainbow MultiFit fitted diaper.
- Both types are one-size fits most from newborn until toddler (3 – 17 kg).
- JOLI also has a range of colourful and printed wetbags to use with the cloth diapers.
- Lovely Goody is the appointed distributor for JOLI diapers in Malaysia. They are also currently looking for resellers. Please contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info about this!
I have received for reviewing:
1 JOLI Bamboo Pocket Diaper in “Winter White”, 1 JOLI Rainbow MultiFit fitted diaper in “Orangety” and 1 JOLI Wetbag in “Classic Elegant” print.
1) JOLI BAMBOO POCKET DIAPER
- Has a luxurious bamboo inner (almost 100% bamboo composition), and comes with a 4 layered insert (2 layers bamboo fabrics and 2 layers of microfibers).
- Tested to last from at least 2 hours to up to 12 hours (subject to the volume of liquid).
- It has an additional snap feature on the insert and pocket cover to prevent shifting of the insert.
- Has 3 x 3 snaps design with 4 size adjustments to best fit your baby : Newborn, Small, Medium & Large.
- Multiple snaps and cross-over snaps design for waist and higher rise adjustment allows for better fit.
- Elasticized leg construction to help contain messes.
- Available in cheerful solid colors & also exciting prints.
I’m using the new rating system for product reviews for JOLI diapers. Each category/factor below have a score from 1 to 5 (1 being the worst, and 5 being the best). Comments follow each category.
Design & Appearance – My Score: 3 out of 5
- Has a soft-to-touch bamboo bamboo inner, design is pretty simple, but the cover looks cute with the baby blue coloured snaps on white. I’m not a big fan of their prints, but that’s just me.
- Has a wide and generous cutting that might be able to fit many babies until potty training.
- I like that it has the snap on the cover to keep the insert in place.
Ease of Use – My Score: 3 out of 5
- They only come in Snap closures, which can be difficult for beginners or caregivers to use. There are also 3 snaps to put on during diaper changes, which might be a challenge to get a good fitting for wriggly babies.
- The bamboo inner might be a little bit difficult to clean (if your baby poops on it), because the inner “clings” to the solid matter. Might require a strong spray of water to remove poop. To solve messy clean-ups, line diaper with a washable liner or disposable nappy liner.
- This being said, it is great because the poop “will stay in place” on the inner instead of “dropping off” on the sides or back of the diaper
Functionality & Performance - My Score: 4 out of 5
- It is quite trim as a one-size diaper, and the insert doesn’t bulk up or move around.
- I’ve always loved bamboo inserts for its good absorbency, and this also helps make JOLI a trim diaper.
- The insert really does retain liquids well (I’ve used it for 4 hours with no leaks), and I like using this diaper for daytime naps for baby’s comfort.
- With the snap closures, it might be a little difficult to get the right fitting on your baby. Sometimes I find myself readjusting the snaps after I put it on baby. If not snapped on well, there might be a gap on the wings on the sides like its not a good fit.
- It is not really a “stay dry” diaper because the bamboo inner does not wick the fabric well enough to keep baby dry. If you want to have stay-dry qualities, line with a washable fleece liner (this also makes messy poop clean ups easier).
Quality - My Score: 3.5 out of 5
- I have used JOLI diapers for 2 months and it is still looking great (no tears, stains, etc).
- However, bamboo fabrics are known to be more sensitive to wear and tear and might not be as durable as synthetic fabric like microfiber or polyester. I do not know the long-term quality of the bamboo fabrics used for theses diapers.
Value for Money - My Score: 4 out of 5
- JOLI pocket diapers is priced at RM53 or 57 each (different prices for plain and printed). For a good performance bamboo pocket diaper which is generous in sizing, I score this quite highly. If you would like a pocket diaper for nap times and heavy wetters, this might be a good choice to consider.
OVERALL RATING - My Score: 4 out of 5
- PROS: Trim one-size pocket diaper, Good performance bamboo+microfiber inset, Bright and colourful choices for plain and printed designs, Wide and generous diaper cutting.
- CONS: Prone to wear and tear issues for bamboo fabric, Only available in snap closures (might be difficult to get the right fit), Not completely “stay dry”.
2) JOLI RAINBOW MULTIFIT FITTED DIAPER
- Has one-size snap adjustments that can fit average baby of 8 weeks until toddler (4-16 kg).
- The outer cover is bamboo velour which is laminated with PUL (which also makes it waterproof, and no additional cover is needed!), while inner lining is bamboo fleece + organic cotton.
- Has an attached soaker made from bamboo fleece + organic cotton, and also comes with 1 additional snap on bamboo soaker (choose either an Ordinary -short-; or Multiple folds -long- soaker).
- Ability to tailor the absorbency according to baby’s need by folding the soakers at baby’s wet zone.
- Use with the soakers can provide a minimum of 7 layers, and up until 16 layers of bamboo absorbency!
- Has a high percentage of natural fibers to ensure only natural fibers touches baby’s skin.
- Value for money – soakers are provided, no extra covers are required, and the system is multi-fitting!
Design & Appearance – My Score: 4.5 out of 5
- It’s easy to choose which colour to buy because there are only 2 available, hehe! I really liked the “Orangety” colour that I have because it looks good enough to eat! (I’d give a 5/5 score if there are prints )
- The best part is of course the velvety bamboo velour outer which is so nice to the touch. Also, I am in love with the ruffles on the legs and also around the waist, and also the rainbow-coloured serging on the outside. Simply too cute!!
- Most fitted diapers are sized, so the fact that this is One-sized, it’s really value for money!
- After assembling the soakers (plus the snap on Multiple folds soaker), it looks quite BULKY.
Ease of Use – My Score: 4.5 out of 5
- Before using, just snap on the additional soaker on the cover, and adjust the length by folding soakers according to size of the diaper, and consider also your baby’s “wet zone” - For boys, fold soakers to have more layers on the front, and for girls concentrate more layers in the middle. The same can be said for back or tummy sleepers.
- Although they use snap closures, they are quite simple to put on. It’s a “wrap style” diaper, so it is not difficult to get the right fitting.
- Also, most fitted diapers are not waterproof and requires the use of a diaper cover, fleece soaker or wool cover on top to ensure no leaks or dampness. JOLI MultiFits diaper does not require a cover because of the laminated PUL on the outer cover. It makes using fitted diapers so much easier by skipping a step!
Functionality & Performance - My Score: 4 out of 5
- As with any One-size fitted diaper, it tends to be bulky with all the soakers and layers inside. This might not be so great to be used on smaller babies.
- Also, since there are many layers in the soakers, drying times are longer. However, the design of JOLI Multifits allows the layers to opened up to speed up drying process.
- Bamboo material again comes out tops for its absorbency power. This fitted diaper is EXCELLENT for use for night time and extended hours.
- The unique PUL laminated outer cover makes the fitted diaper waterproof, and this is such an interesting and useful feature for a fitted diaper. The diaper is not damp on the outside, even if the diaper is wet on the inside layers!
Quality - My Score: 3.5 out of 5
- I think the workmanship and sewing is of good quality.
- As with JOLI bamboo pocket diapers above, my main concern is about the wear and tear, and durability of the bamboo fabric.
Value for Money - My Score: 5 out of 5
- I feel that JOLI MultiFits is affordably priced at RM60 or 66 each (depending if you take the Ordinary or Multiple folds soaker). As above, for the absorbency power of bamboo fabric, and also for the fact that it is a One-size fitted diaper, this is certainly value for money.
- This can be a great choice for those who would like to try out using a the Fitted diaper type of cloth diaper because it is priced cheaper than many other fitted diaper brands in the market.
OVERALL RATING - My Score: 4.5 out of 5
- PROS: Affordable price and economical (One-sized), Excellent absorbency for night time and extended hour use, Easy to use, Does not require a diaper cover on top, Cute design and colours (the frills, rainbow serging and yummy colours!)
- CONS: Prone to wear and tear issues for bamboo fabric, Takes quite a while to dry, Might be bulky for smaller babies.
3) JOLI WETBAG
- Has a zipper closure to fully contain messes and odors.
- Has a matching print strap for hanging or carrying around.
- Generously sized at 35 x 40 cm, fits 6-8 diapers.
- Made from thick, durable and waterproof 2mil PUL fabric lining.
- Fun and stylish prints to liven up baby’s changing times.
- Price: RM31.50
OVERALL RATING - My Score: 3 out of 5
- PROS: Zipper opens at the front which allows easy access, Affordable price, Durable strap for hanging, Comes in prints.
- CONS: Only available in 1 size, Wetbag thickness and serging at the edges not up to my standards (I prefer my wetbags to have double layer linings and strong sewing on the edges to really contain the odors).
Overall, JOLI provides a range of cloth diapering products which will suit your budget and needs. Bamboo fabric is an great choice for cloth diapers because it is soft & gentle on the skin, has great absorbency, anti-bacterial, and also eco-friendly! Why not give JOLI a try today?
***HERE’S YOUR CHANCE TO TRY OUT JOLI PRODUCTS!***
15% OFF DISCOUNT for any JOLI DIAPERS & WETBAGS at LOVELY GOODY from now until 4th April 2011!
Just enter Promo Code:
to claim your discount before making payments.*
Don’t Miss Out. Thank you so much Lovely Goody!
*Note: The “O” in the Promo Code is the big alphabet “O”, and not the number “0″ (zero). The 15% discount is only applicable to JOLI brand cloth diapers and wetbags at http://lovelygoody.com/, while stocks last.