When BambooLite was the Featured Shop in June on Cloth Diaper Malaysia, the company was also very kind to allow me (oops… I mean, my baby) to experience BambooLite’s CM-TrueFit Diapers. After nearly 2 months of usage, here is my review to share with Cloth Diaper Malaysia’s readers.
Let’s Recap on BambooLite CM-TrueFit Diapers:
- The diapers offer 2 unique types of Cloth Diapers, “CM-TrueFit PUL” (Pocket Diapers) and “CM-TrueFit Fitted” (Fitted Diapers).
- They are one-sized “Truly Adjustable” diaper which can fit babies small or large!
- BambooLite diapers are made from Bamboo fabric which is well known to be suitable for baby’s sensitive skin, has anti-bacterial properties, highly absorbent, and is super soft and comfortable.
- They are made from bamboo yarn that meets Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 requirements (an international testing and certification system for textiles).
For reviewing purposes, I had received from BambooLite:
- CM-TrueFite PUL Lite in Black (Velcro) - the Pocket Diaper comes with a Hybrid insert
- CM-TrueFit Fitted Premium in Red (Snaps) – the Fitted Diaper comes with a Foldover insert & bamboo booster
Apparently, with just these 2 types of BambooLite diapers, I could try out ALL the combinations of diapers that they offer. How so?? This is because the inserts are interchangeable between the two, enabling you to try out each one and decide which combo is most suitable for your baby. I couldn’t wait to try them out!
MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
- Packaging had clear wash and care instructions. A very important feature.
- The bamboo velour fabric on the inner lining of the diapers were oh-so-super velvety soft to feel and touch!
- The solid colour of the CM-TrueFit PUL looks attractively bold, while the CM-TrueFit Fitted has a luxurious velvety shine to it (because the entire cover is made from bamboo velour).
- The “covers” of these 2 types diapers look very similar in design, only that the CM-TrueFit PUL is waterproof, while the CM-TrueFit Fitted is not.
- I couldn’t understand its concept of “Truly Adjustable” that it claims to be, because initially I couldn’t see how/where exactly you’re actually SUPPOSED to adjust them (No instructions on packaging).
Upon receival, I prewashed the diapers 3 times to have better absorbency (it is recommended that 6 washes be done to achieve full absorbency). I machine wash the diapers every 2-3 days using Pureen HAD detergent, and line dry. The diapers were used on my then 3 1/2 month old baby. I have managed to use them for around 2 months.
HOW TO USE THE BAMBOOLITE DIAPERS:
1) Adjusting The Thigh Elastics
After checking out BambooLite’s website, only then did I discover how to adjust the sizing of the diapers. You were were supposed to adjust the “bra strap looking” elastic straps at the thighs, and these were totally hidden under the pocket opening (refer picture above) - No wonder I couldn’t figure out where to find them! CM-TrueFit diapers has this unique feature so you can really customize its setting (unlimited too) so it can fit your baby as he grows, hence the concept “Truly Adjustable”!
Honestly, it was my first time using such a system of adjustment for cloth diapers. I was excited about the design, however I did have trouble using the adjustable elastic straps the first time. I think it took me 10 minutes or so to get the ideal thigh setting on my baby. However, you only have to do so once. You don’t have to adjust it until the next time when your baby grows bigger, and when the elastics need readjustments.
2) CM-TrueFit PUL: Stuffing The Pockets
- Easy to use if you are already used to using Pocket Diapers – Simply stuff the insert into the pocket opening and secure it on the cover with the snap.
3) CM-TrueFit Fitted Premium: “Assembling” the Diaper
- The Fitted Premium has 3 components: A non-waterproof bamboo velour cover (also with a pocket opening), a Foldover insert and a bamboo booster.
- First, lift the cover’s pocket opening to snap on the Foldover insert on the cover, fold the insert in half with the bamboo velour side facing up, then lay in the bamboo booster on top.
- If you have a small baby (like mine), the Foldover insert might be too long to be folded in half. In my case, I folded it in a little bit more at the front to make it shorter. *Bonus: This method also adds extra absorbency at the front for tummy sleepers or baby boys! *
- Once you get used to assembling the Fitted, you can experiment by folding the insert any other way that you think is suitable for your baby’s needs. (Eg: Fold to increase the absorbency at the back/front)
THE FITTING & FUNCTION:
CM-TrueFit PUL (Pocket Diapers)
Oooh… I just love the boldness of the colour black. So classic!
- Fitting: I consider them to be trim, and they hug the crotch snugly to enable better movement. The velcro closure makes it very easy to get the right fit on baby. Indeed, no red marks on baby’s thighs due to the adjustable elastics!
- Absorbency: I was really amazed at the performance of this diaper. No leaks (pee) even after 3 hours, and I’m very confident of wearing this diaper for longer hours when going out too. Suitable for my little heavy wetter!
- Velcro Closure: It is really strong, and designed so that it will not rub on baby’s skin, and it didn’t! Also, since it’s velcro type, it’s super easy to put on baby.
CM-TrueFit Fitted (Fitted Diapers)
I absolutely loved the super soft bamboo velour outer!
- Fitting: These diapers were BULKY – at the crotch area, and bulks up at the front too since I folded it more towards the front. It’s quite difficult for baby to move around freely, and to put his legs together. Also, there is wing droop because when I fasten it at the small settings, it left some gaping at the thigh area. Due to this, I only reserve these diapers for night time use (less movements).
- Absorbency: Performance wise, I give this diaper a thumbs up! I use this for night time diapering with a cover and there are certainly no leaks all throughout the night (10 hours). It can be used without the cover during the day, beause it will take quite a while for it to be soaking wet. Superb!
- Snap Closure: There is only 1 row of snaps, so getting the perfect fit is slightly more difficult compared to Velcro type. Also, the wing droop happens for smaller babies because lack of snaps to secure above the thigh.
WHAT I LIKE:
- I’m very pleased with the absorbency performance. Could it be the inserts? Or the bamboo velour? I do not know, but whatever it is,it’s working really well!
- The PUL type is really good for outings because they are quite trim and suitable to be worn under pants.
- The Fitted can be an excellent choice for night time diapering, and its absorbency can be customizable.
- The velcro closure is strong, yet designed to be non-irritating to baby’s skin and gives a good fit on baby.
- Super duper soft and velvety bamboo velour material!
- Has a wide range of attractive solid colours to choose from.
- I can recommend this brand to beginners because it is really value for their money.
The CM-TrueFit Fitted Premium is quite a bulky diaper. Of course, because it had 14 layers altogether (maybe more) when folded (correct me if I’m wrong, Jack)
FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS:
- To design the inserts (especially Foldover insert) so it will dry faster, and also to reduce detergent build up/mold growth in the layers.
- The Fitted type is quite bulky around the crotch, especially on smaller babies.
- I wonder if the adjustable leg elastics can last a long time if we keep adjusting them? (Eg: if we use on 2 babies of different sizes at one time).
- Provide usage instructions on packaging, expecially on how to adjust the thigh elastics.
- For snap closures, to figure out a solution for wing droop problem on smaller babies.
- The adjustable leg elastics design is very useful, however the adjusting and readjusting requires some amount of practice.
Overall, I am quite pleased with BambooLite’s diapers – proudly a Malaysian brand too! Good job to BambooLite’s team, and thank you so much for allowing me to review your products. I hope there will be many more Malaysian brands of cloth diapers available in the market for us to choose from
*Cloth Diaper Malaysia loves to review products! If you want me to review your product, please Contact Me*