To make your life simpler, here’s a very basic guide to cloth diaper types. These types will be further expanded with more articles too, so do come back to Cloth Diaper Malaysia to check them out.
There are several types of cloth diapers in the market today, which are:
1. Prefold Diapers
- A rectangle piece of diaper with 3 sections, folded to fit the baby
- Does not have a waterproof layer outside
- Worn with diaper pins or Snappis.
- Has thicker layer in the centre (which is absorbent), and sides/outside layer (for folding)
- The cheapest among other cloth diapers
- Very versatile, durable useful: Can be used on its own, stuffed into pockets or worn with diaper covers
- Can also be used as wipe/burp cloths, baby covers, etc
- Two types: Bleached (white) and Unbleached (cream color -requires extra preparation before using)
2. Fitted Diapers
- Worn fitted and snug on babies (with elastic, Velcro, snaps or hooks)
- Not waterproof: Requires a diaper cover to ensure pee/poop do not leak!
- Can be made from: knits, flannel, teryy cloth, hemp, bamboo, fleece –any material, can even be made from an old t-shirt!
3. Pocket Diapers
- Outer layer is waterproof.
- The inner layer has “pockets” in the middle where you can insert the absorbent material called “inserts”.
- Different inner layer materials (microfleece, suede, velour, minky, etc) will feel different on the baby when it’s wet.
- Inserts are removed after baby pees/poops, which enables more effective cleaning.
- Customizable: Different types and amounts of inserts can be stuffed according to level of desired absorbency
4. All In Ones/All In Twos (AIOs/AI2s)
- Most convenient, no accessories/preparation needed before use
- Waterproof, no covers needed.
- Absorbent material sewn into AIOs, no inserts needed.
- Because inside soakers are non-removable, requires longer drying time.
- AI2s can have an external soaker on the inside: allows customization and faster drying.
Now that you already know the basics of Cloth Diaper types, you are ready to begin your cloth diaper journey! Easy does it, more articles to come Stay tuned!